Homeowners Insurance and Renters Insurance in lowcountry South Carolina
For more than 40 years, countless families in Beaufort, Bluffton and the South Carolina lowcountry have relied on Lowcountry Insurance Services for dependable home and renter’s insurance protection. As an independent agency, we are affiliated with most of the nation’s leading home insurance carriers. This often means we can get you better rates or broader coverage than you might find from an agency that represents just one insurance product.
What is homeowners' insurance?
If you’re like many homeowners, your house represents one of your greatest investments. In addition, your home provides shelter for your family and is the place where many of life’s happiest moments occur. Homeowners insurance in South Carolina helps you get back the value of your home and the things in it should theft, natural disaster, fire or other issues affect your home. Make sure to give your home and your belongings the protection they deserve with affordable, quality homeowners’ insurance from Lowcountry Insurance Services.
Get a Free Home Insurance Quote
What kind of protection is included in Homeowners' Insurance?
Homeowners' insurance in Beaufort, Bluffton and the South Carolina lowcountry includes coverage for a variety of different but important circumstances.
Most homeowners’ insurance policies include:
- Dwelling insurance pays to replace your home’s structure if it’s ever destroyed by fire, storm, or other causes of loss. When you purchase homeowners’ insurance coverage, make sure your policy’s limit is based on the replacement value of your home, which is often quite different than the market value. Also, inform your agent of any outbuildings. Your agent can tell you if the outbuildings are included with your policy or if you need additional protection. Also, alert your agent to any recent updates or remodeling, as these can increase your home’s replacement value. Lowcountry Insurance agents are happy to meet with you to discuss these details and help you get the right policy.
- Contents/personal property coverage pays to replace the belongings in your home such as furniture, clothing, jewelry, and electronics. It’s a good idea to take an inventory of your belongings to ensure that your contents limit is high enough. Inform your local insurance agent of any unique or unusual valuables such as firearms, fine art, collections, expensive jewelry, or antiques. These items may require an added level of protection. In some cases, small boats (such as a drift boat) or equipment such as a riding lawnmower or tractor may be covered by your homeowners’ insurance policy. Alert your Lowcountry agent of every asset so they can determine the smartest home insurance strategy.
- Liability insurance pays for damages if your negligence causes harm to someone else. Liability insurance is helpful to have in many unexpected situations, like when a visitor breaks an ankle tripping on your front step or if your dog bites a neighbor. If you operate a home-based business or entertain extensively at your home, let your Lowcountry agent know so they can address potential coverage gaps.
Two things that are not covered by your standard homeowners’ policy are the risks of flood and earthquake. If you think you may need earthquake or flood insurance (we can provide advice for the lowcountry of South Carolina), ask your agent to prepare a quote for these risks. Flood insurance usually has a 30-day waiting period, so don’t wait until a storm is forecasted to request protection.
Whatever your home insurance needs, Lowcountry Insurance Services can help. We also offer coverage for condominiums, second homes, and vacation homes. Ask us for a free homeowners insurance or vacation home insurance quote today!
Get a Free Home Insurance Quote
What is renters' insurance?
If you rent a home, apartment, or condo, renters' insurance is a must. This coverage reimburses you if your belongings are stolen or damaged by a covered cause of loss, such as fire. When you live in a multi-family structure like a condo or an apartment, you can be inadvertently impacted by your neighbors’ practices. For example, if the person next door forgets to extinguish a candle or accidentally drops a cigarette, your belongings can be harmed. For this reason, renters' insurance is critical. Lowcountry Insurance Services can help you find affordable, reliable renters' insurance in Beaufort, SC, and the surrounding area.
Get a Renters' Insurance Quote
How to Prepare a Home Inventory
When disaster strikes, it can be tough to remember everything that was destroyed or stolen. That’s why it’s a good idea to be prepared with an accurate home inventory.
- One easy way to take a home insurance inventory is to take photos or a video of the items in your home. In addition, make a list of your belongings that includes key information such as serial numbers, brand names, model numbers, dates of purchase, and value. If possible, save receipts as additional documentation.
- Make sure to include all expensive items in your home such as jewelry, firearms, home electronics, computer software, and antiques. And don’t forget the items stored in your garage, attic, and outbuildings.
- Once your home insurance inventory is complete, update it every six months. Always keep a backup copy of your home inventory accessible outside of your house. Your insurance agent may be willing to keep a copy on file for you.
If you ever need to file a homeowners insurance claim, your home inventory will be an invaluable time-saving resource.
Whatever your home insurance need, Lowcountry Insurance can help. We also offer coverage for condominiums, second homes, and vacation homes. Ask us for a free homeowners insurance or vacation home insurance quote today!
Get a Quote